Community

‘You matter’

Sometimes, all it takes is someone who will listen... someone who cares. On Thursday, a group of people who care stood for the second annual Stand Up for Suicide Awareness community photo at Soldiers and Sailors Park, spearheaded by Family Services of Warren County. They want people who ...

Briefs…

Chandlers Valley Cemetery meeting The Chandlers Valley Cemetery, which is located on Brown Hill Road outside of Chandlers Valley, is holding a business meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 10, at the community center in Chandlers Valley. All families that have relatives or own lots in this ...

TO pet calendar returns for 2020

A preponderance of precious pets populates this place. Poodle puppies. Pomeranians and Pekingese. Papillons. Persians. Potbellied pigs, pythons, parrots, and piranhas. Possibly Percherons and parrotfish. Probably not a panda, nor a platypus. After a wildly successful first year of featuring ...

Hiking 101: Bureau of State Parks leads the adventure

Hiking 101 will be held at Chapman State Park on Friday, Sept. 27, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Participants will learn how to enable students to discover Penn’s Woods through an interdisciplinary set of lessons created by the PA Bureau of State Parks. Lessons focus on health, fitness, trip ...

Briefs…

Blood drive Community Blood Bank will hold a blood drive from 1 to 5 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 4, in the Slater Room at Warren Public Library to help replenish the blood supply following the holiday weekend. All donors will receive $5 Sheetz gift cards. All donors who give in September will be ...

40 years

Over the next five Saturdays, the Times Observer is presenting Hospice of Warren County from its perspective in honor of its 40th anniversary, starting today with its history, and in the following weeks, Hospice, Palliative Care, the John, and Orpha Blair Hospice Residence, and the Schorman ...

Briefs…

YMCA Livestrong The Warren County YMCA has three openings in its Livestrong at the Y program. This program provides cancer survivors with health and fitness education to help them find new resources to live a life during or after cancer that will aid them in a healthy lifestyle. Anyone ...

Work hard, play hard is what Bryans instilling in children

“Back in my day...” An expression you usually here from an old man like myself — I turned 48 today this week, mind you. Back in my day, which was like the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, you could drive past Betts Jackson Field on the west side of Warren and see boys playing a pickup ...

TO DO

The following is a list of upcoming local entertainment events. The Times Observer welcomes additions to the list that are of community interest. To add an event, email managing editor Jon Sitler at jsitler@timesobserver.com. September 1: Smokey’s Birthday Celebration, Chapman State Park ...

Massas spearhead effort to share Warren County with refugees

It was during a presentation in February 2018 titled “Immigration 101” that a seed was planted in the minds of some of those in attendance. That seed has grown into a community effort that has brought people from all over the world to our neck of the woods. Two people who have been part ...

‘Take me home’

Home is where the heart is; isn’t that what they say? To many, this is nothing more than a greeting card proverb that gets dusted off once or twice a year around the holidays. Although the meaning can be interpreted in many different ways, its truth often belies a sense of longing for days ...

County 4-H members qualify for district dairy show

Warren County 4-H dairy members have qualified to attend the district dairy show to be held Saturday, Aug. 31, in Crawford County. Members that will represent the county include Maya Weis from Columbus; Elle Curtis and Taige Peterson from Corry; Madison Sleeman, Hialeah Stanton, and Tristen ...

Snails: More interesting than you think

Of all the flora and fauna in the region, snails are not one I think about very often. On hikes, they fall into the “just” category. Oh, it’s just a snail. Oh, it’s just a crow. Oh, it’s just a dandelion. They are so easy to overlook because they appear commonplace. Ordinary. Mundane. ...

David Snyder is cleaning up

Almost everyone who has participated in the Allegheny river or reservoir clean-up in the last seven years has run into David Snyder. But, before he was a fixture of the events, a member of a huge team working to improve the community, he was just a guy interested in a day on the river helping ...

The hero my father is

It’s not easy being an everyday hero. Even harder when you’re the daughter of one. When I was younger, I always wished I could be the hero my father was. Unfortunately, but not really, I took the path of reporting on those heroes instead of being one. Andy Jones, my father of Clarendon, ...

‘Serving’ the community: Lemay is a coach on the go

The evaluations, it seems, never end. Even on an off day, and right after that evening’s practice, eval reports were coming in. This time, it was over the phone. Such is the life of a home health care physical therapist, a high school volleyball coach and, in this case, both. But that’s ...

WWII veteran lives to tell his story

Of the 16 million men and women who served in the Armed Forces during World War II, just 620,000 are living today. On top of that, an additional 372 die each day, according to the National World War II Museum. That makes hearing and telling the stories of these men and women more important ...

Briefs…

Walk to End Alzheimer’s The Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s will take place on September 28 at Betts Park in Warren. Hundreds of people from the Warren area are expected at this year’s event to raise awareness and funds to fight Alzheimer’s disease. On Walk day, ...

Briefs…

Bark for Life Bark for Life, the canine segment of Relay for Life, will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 22, at Beaty Field. Registration will be from 1 to 2 p.m. on-site. 4-H Achievement Night The 57th Annual Rotary 4-H Achievement Night is scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 14, at the ...

Briefs…

Holiday closing Paws Along the River Humane Society will be closed on Monday, Sept. 2, for Labor Day and on Saturday, Sept. 7. David Crone ventriloquism On Sunday, Sept. 8, at 9:30 a.m., David Crone (son of Shirley and John Crone) will be the special guest for a program at First United ...