Community

Spring starts and stops

Audubon just wrapped up our last weekend of Audubon Lights, where colorful lights and scenes illuminated one of the trails so people can head out after dusk. My favorite statement and the one I heard more than any other by people on the trail that Sunday night was something along the lines of ...

Sanford United Methodist Church Kids Club restarts, plans activities

The Sanford United Methodist Church Kids Club is starting up again with a new format. One Sunday each month, any youth or adults are welcome to stay for one hour after the church service for a game or activity. Church is from 10 to 11 a.m. and the activity will be from 11 a.m. to noon. The ...

Democracy to be discussed at Scandia Corners on Friday

The public is invited to a program on one-room schools, an essential foundation of our American Democracy, on Friday at 7 p.m. at the Community Center at Scandia Corners. In the past, our immigrant population came from societies, where the aristocracy or dictators ran the government, and they ...

Philomel Club seeks applications for music instruction

Philomel Club is now accepting applications for its annual scholarships for students in fourth grade and older who are studying with a private music instructor. Scholarships are also available for students pursuing continuing education in music beyond high school or special community projects ...

The clean up crew

There is a general agreement in my house. I cook dinner and my husband cleans up. Recently, I felt like I was doing most of the work, while he had the easy job. A switch in roles one night gave me the opportunity to reflect on the value of clean-up work. It is not always the most glamorous job, ...