TAWC to cross over into New York State

The Transit Authority of Warren County has announced expanded service into New York state.

“Starting October 20, 2019, we will begin transporting to Chautauqua Institute, Bemus Point, Lakewood and Jamestown, New York, with our shared ride program,” Wendy Hollabaugh, TAWC’s executive director, told the Times Observer.

TAWC’s shared ride service provides “door-to-door service,” according to the TAWC website, for travel to “senior centers, medical appointments, visiting, shopping or just for a day out.”

Hollabaugh said the trips to New York are slated for Tuesdays and Fridays.

“We will leave Warren at 9 a.m. and Chautauqua Mall at 2 p.m.,” she said. “As per the shared ride program, (the) Pennsylvania Lottery pays 85 percent of senior trips. The other 15 percent is paid by the seniors.”

Cost for seniors for the trips to New York will vary from $3.00 to $3.90 “depending on the mileage from the pick-up location to the drop off location,” Hollabaugh explained. “All eligible passengers will be responsible for the full 15 percent of each trip from and to New York as well as any additional stops while in New York.”

A minimum of four passengers will be needed in order to make the trip.

Hollabaugh said the trips are “also available to the general public but those trips must be paid 100 percent by the passenger which will be $26.”

Scheduling a trip can be done up to two weeks in advance but no later than 2 p.m. on the day before the trip.

Anyone with questions is asked to call the TAWC office at 723-1874.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)