Community

Healthy eating helps Warren man lose nearly 100 pounds

“I didn’t do anything crazy,” said Bob Sears of his dramatic seven months of weight loss. “Except eat healthy.” Sears, of Warren, said he was visiting friends last year at a holiday party. “Where did you guys go,” he asked them. “They were so small.” Sears said that they ...

Southern Tier Biennial artists

Hundreds of artists have entered the Southern Tier Biennial (STB) over the last twelve years allowing the creation of exhibitions that showcase the vitality and diversity of contemporary art in the region, and the 2017 STB promises to deliver another exceptional exhibition. This year’s ...

RTPI to feature artist Neil Rizos this fall

The Roger Tory Peterson Institute (RTPI) is pleased to present Neil Rizos: The Art of Exploration, on display from September 15 to December 10. The opening reception for “Neil Rizos: The Art of Exploration” will be Friday, September 22 at 5 p.m. The public is invited to attend and meet ...

Warren Garden Club meets in August

President Suzanne Barone welcomed members and guests to the August 17 meeting of Warren Garden Club at St. Joseph Catholic Church. The program for the day was Decorating a Float for the Pasadena Rose Bowl Parade. Tina West and Pam McAulay gave a power point presentation on how these floats ...

A cow patty worth $1,000, and more

The winner of the 2017 Warren County Fair Steer Dump is taking home $1,000 courtesy of Warren County Crime Stoppers. Helen Chambers of Youngsville was the lucky winner of Cow Patty Bingo. She didn’t pick a favorite number. She didn’t have a system. She just paid her $5 and picked up a ...

95 years

The Warren Lions Club met at the end of June to kick off its 95th year of community service, fellowship, and club activities. Lions Club members convened at Betts Park for their annual installation dinner, welcoming new Club President Norm Ewing and inducting the remaining club officers, ...

4-H’ers representing Warren County at District VIII 4-H Horse Show

Warren County 4-H will have 36 members and 40 horses representing the county at the District VIII 4-H horse show set for September 8-9 in Centre Hall. The 4-H members will compete in a variety of classes in an effort to qualify for the state show. The Pennsylvania State 4-H Horse Show is set ...

200 Years

In June 1817, there was just 15 stars on the American flag. James Monroe had been president for just three months. Earlier in the year, Congress had passed a law splitting the Mississippi territory which paved the way for the creation of the Alabama territory and Mississippi to be admitted ...

County senior center schedule

Marienville MACA Building 927-6607: Monday: 08/21: cards, games, lunch at 11:45 a.m. Wednesday: 08/23: cards, games, lunch at 11:45 a.m. Thursday: 08/24: cards, games, lunch at 11:45 a.m. Endeavor Township Building 463-7774: Tuesday: 08/22: cards, games, lunch at ...

4-H members qualify for district dairy show

Warren County 4-H dairy members have qualified to attend the district dairy show to be held Saturday, September 2, in Crawford County. Members that will represent the county include: Dominque Corradi and Maya Weis from Columbus; Kaitlynn & Kody Barton, Delaney Bell, Robin & Tyler ...

Crary celebrates 40 years of art

“It’s such a fine example of people coming together in a spirit of volunteerism,” said Doug Hearn of the Crary Art Gallery. The gallery celebrates 40 years of “spreading the art” this year, and it has made it an event to remember. With a mission of inspiring, entertaining, an ...

Good neighbor

Ten years into his retirement, Carl Swanson is staying active. He walks every day. He golfs. And, he is doing quite a bit more than his share to keep his community clean. On Wednesday, Swanson was taking his usual walk along Conewango Avenue. Along the course of about two miles, he filled ...

Blood Bank holding drive Aug. 22

Community Blood Bank holds blood drives at Warren County’s high schools a couple times a year. In order to help students get back in the swing, and to give an infusion to the blood supply, CBB will hold its “High School Reunion” drive from 1 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 22 “We try to get ...

Poppins — a musical adventure at Struthers

Everyone’s favorite practically perfect nanny takes the stage in this SuperCaliFragilisticExpialidocious musical adventure. One of the most popular Disney movies of all time is capturing hearts in a whole new way: a practically perfect musical. Based on the books by P.L. Travers and the ...

Should American flags be burned in protests?

In my last article I mentioned I went to a journalism conference. While at the conference, we visited the Newseum. That was probably my favorite part, educationally. They had yes or no questions displayed around the museum and you answered with different colored stickers. I answered one ...

One year later

Cara is still in Afghanistan, and as her mother, I really don’t want her to be there. I realized early on that it is not my life, and it is not my choice, so I try desperately to keep my mouth closed. She doesn’t ask my opinion, and she doesn’t welcome unasked for opinions. She’s a ...

Fair Memories

Why do you go to the fair? I think probably the most quoted reason is to visit with friends. There are people who definitely live within the county that I do not see at any other time of the year. Even though I am out and about with my volunteer duties there are some people that I only ...

The Shotgun Approach

The Shotgun Approach The evolution of firearms is interesting. One of the important developments is the difference between a single projectile and multiple projectiles. It’s not clear which came first. They probably developed almost simultaneously. The difference between the two firearms ...

County senior center schedule

Allegheny Community Center, TAWC Building, 2nd floor, at 42 Clark St., 723-3237 Monday (8-14): Coffee & conversation, pool, 9:30 a.m.; stop by ACC and get your free blood pressure test taken by caring nurses, 10 a.m.; Decorating clay pots, 10:30 a.m.; Bistro salads, 12-1 p.m.; bingo, ...