Details released in pursuit of wanted Sugar Grove man

Times Observer photo by Brian Ferry More details have been released following this weekend’s high-speed chase involving a wanted Sugar Grove man.

Saturday morning’s high-speed chase started with a police officer recognizing a passing motorist.

According to the affidavit of probable cause, a Conewango Township Police officer who was observing traffic shortly before 3 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 11, at the intersection of Market Street and Jackson Run recognized the driver of a silver 2013 Ford Focus as Devin W. M. Powell.

The officer knew Powell’s license was suspended and that there were warrants for his arrest, so he initiated a traffic stop, according to the affidavit.

Powell, of 375 Valley Park Dr., Sugar Grove, hesitated, then sped north, with a passenger, on Market Street, exceeding 100 miles per hour for much of the way to the intersection with Route 957/Liberty Street in Pine Grove Township, according to the affidavit. At that point, Powell turned right, and continued east, violating traffic laws, until he turned onto Big Four Road.

The officer continued to pursue as Powell allegedly turned on Conewango Avenue and encountered City of Warren Police and Warren County Chief Detective Tom Kibbey, at the intersection of Conewango and Hatch Run, according to the affidavit.

Police said Powell pulled his car over to the left side of the road.

The officer got out of his vehicle, “weapon drawn,” and ordered Powell to stop, according to the affidavit. “Powell then turned around and drove at” the officer, and “struck (him) and his patrol unit with his vehicle.”

After allegedly hitting the officer with his car, Powell “continued to flee from police,” according to the affidavit. “He took numerous roads in Pine Grove and Elk townships while being pursued by multiple police vehicles. Powell then crashed into a tree on Hultberg Road in Elk Township. Powell attempted to flee on foot into the woods, but was apprehended.”

The Conewango Township Police officer who was struck by the vehicle was taken to Warren General Hospital for treatment. He was later released and “medically cleared for duty,” according to Chief Jason Peters.

Powell faces numerous charges and was taken to Warren County jail after failing to post $250,000 bail.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *


Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today