×

Jackson Run, North Warren names date to county’s early years

North Warren.

Jackson Run.

One came first.

And he was a pioneer.

“Daniel Jackson… was a native of Connecticut, but came here from the vicinity of Ithaca, N. Y., in the spring of 1797, and settled upon a tract of land (since known as the Wetmore farm) bordering the run which still bears his name, and distant about one mile north of the town of Warren,” per Schenck’s History of Warren County.

He came to the county via Buffalo to Erie to Waterford and then with canoes down French Creen and up the Allegheny and then the Conewango.

Jackson first shows up in county tax records in 1806, according to Schenck’s History of Warren County. He owned 130 acres, two cows, one horse, two oxen, two inlots in Warren and a sawmill.

The mill he built on Jackson Run was believed to have been the first built in the county in about 1800.

That led to the first lumber raft to originate in the county.

He also built the first frame house in Warren in 1805 and was cleared the next year by the county to host a tavern.

Jackson met a unique demise in the 1830. Schenck tells that story: “He was commissioned a justice of the peace under the administration of Governor Snyder, and continued to discharge the duties of the station. It was in the honorable discharge of his official duty as a magistrate that he was assailed by Nehemiah Waters and inhumanly bitten in the thumb of his right hand. So envenomed was the wound that his strength of body and constitution (although superior to that of most men of his age) could not resist its influence, and its baneful effects soon set at naught the sedulous attention and skill of his medical assistance and took entire possession of his system.

To the last he retained the entire possession of his faculties, and bore the most agonizing pain with a patience and resignation becoming the dignity of christianized old age.”

In short, he died by being bit in the hand.

The name “North Warren” wouldn’t come to the area until many years later.

“Prior to 1874 the village was called Berry’s Corners after Stephen Berry,” according to an article on the county’s place names.

Berry offered the land for a station instrumental in bringing the Dunkirk, Allegheny Valley and Pittsburgh Railroad stop to the area in the early 1870s.

“Through the influence of C. C. Allen, a Warren attorney of considerable prominence, the new stop was soon called North Warren because of its proximity to Warren,” that article states.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today