Former Barley Home lot put up for sale
For sale: 1.6 acres of vacant, historical residential property in North Warren.
The vacant lot left by the demolition of the former Barley Home — 506 S. State St. — has been listed with a local realtor since earlier this month.
The property is listed at a price of $65,000 and is described as “1.6 acres of land with city utilities at the property line. Property has a low cut stone wall along the front with 2 stately entrances and a brick driveway. Level corner lot with mature trees around the property edge,” according to the listing.
Conewango Township purchased the property for $5,000 in December 2017 and transferred the parcel to the Conewango Township Municipal Authority for $1 in September 2018.
Earlier this year, Conewango Township created a posting on Facebook Marketplace listing the property for $130,000 or best offer.
The structure on the property, which has also been known as “The Pines,” burned in August 2014.
Demolition of the structure commenced in March 2018.
That demolition marked the end of a long and historic timeline. In 1835, Lansing Wetmore purchased the former Jackson farm and house, which includes 506 S. State St.
Wetmore had a square, two-story stone house of “only four rooms” built on the property. “The Pines” was finished in 1839. In 1842, Wetmore made it his retirement home.
The house was remodeled and enlarged in the early 1900s to the size it was when it burned. The 1900s addition also included the colonnade area at the south side of the house.
The Wetmore family considered “The Pines” their summer home until Edward Wetmore, a grandson of Lansing, made it his full-time residence.
On his death, the property passed to Alice Wetmore Brann, who did not live in Warren. She sold the house and adjacent property to Harry and Hazel Barley in 1950.
The Barleys adapted the structure to become a nursing home.
The Barley Home changed hands, but not name nor purpose, in 1967, when it was sold to Dr. and Mrs. Frank Butt and Mr. and Mrs. James Valone.
Kathleen and Roger Shattuck took ownership of the property in 2001.
The Barley Home formally closed in 2011.