Church celebrates 200th anniversary
SUGAR GROVE — The First Presbyterian Church of Sugar Grove has come a long way from modest origins in the home of a member of the congregation.
The first regular services were held in 1821.
On Sunday, the church celebrated its 200th anniversary. According to the History of the First Presbyterian Church of Sugar Grove, the church is the oldest House of Worship in Warren County and the Presbytery of Lake Erie.
When a formal Sugar Grove Presbyterian Church was built in 1834, it was situated on the property next to Brown’s.
That construction cost an estimated $1,000, according to the History.
The congregation moved to where the current church stands, 202 Main St., a few properties from the original, in 1865.
That church was renovated in 1876.
That work included the installation of taller windows, and the construction of a balcony, belfry, and steeple.
The next renovation started around 1910, and brought a ‘Sunday School Annex,’ and resulted in the installation of the “largest wooden doors in Warren County” separating the church parlors from the sanctuary.
In March, new, custom colored-glass windows were installed by Pittsburgh Stained Glass behind the balcony on the Main Street side of the church.
On Sunday, the congregation took a look back at its history, and celebrated with special music and the dedication of its new stained-glass windows.