A Pittsfield Township residence was heavily damaged by fire Monday morning, but residents were able to escape without injury.
The fire broke out shortly before noon at the 1560 Davey Hill Road home owned by Bonnie Spencer.
Both residents who were home at the time made it out of the house safely and called 911.
Times Observer photo by Brian Ferry
Volunteer firefighters douse hot spots at a Davey Hill Road house fire in Pittsfield Township on Monday afternoon.
When firefighters arrived, they found the south wall on fire, involving rooms on both levels of the two-story house, according to Garland Volunteer Fire Department Chief Brian Bull.
Bull said a space heater that residents were using to try to thaw frozen water pipes was responsible for the fire.
"They sustained quite a bit of structural damage," Bull said.
Other areas of the house suffered smoke and water damage.
The residence was insured, he said, and the residents have a place to stay.
Firefighters attacked the fire from both inside and out.
"We had it knocked down within a half hour then we finished mopping up," Bull said.
Responders were on the scene for about three hours.
During that time, they faced not only the heat of the fire, but the bitter cold outside.
"The biggest thing is the manpower - keeping them hydrated, rotating them in and out, making sure they don't get hypothermia or anything like that," Bull said.
In addition to Garland, volunteer firefighters from Youngsville, Wrightsville, Spring Creek, Starbrick, and Tidioute responded to the fire. Pennsylvania Game Commission officers, who were passing by, assisted with traffic control until volunteers arrived.
Youngsville VFD's rehab trailer and the Warren County All-Hazards Team warming tent were used at the scene.