Here is the varsity slate of action for county teams for Wednesday, Jan. 22, through Saturday, Jan. 25:
Photo submitted for publication
Free throw competition winners
The Warren and Youngsville Knights of Columbus recently held a free throw competition. These winners will compete at the district level this Sunday at 1 p.m. at the YMCA. Shown in the picture are, front row (L-R), Kyle Anderson, Aidan Flannery, Kelsey Stuart and Eli Southwick and, back row, Jakob Magda, Dominick Giannani, Nathan Eadie and Gracie Wood.
Boys Basketball: Youngsville at Otto-Eldred, 6 p.m.
Girls Basketball: McDowell B at TCCS, 6 p.m.
Wrestling: Strong Vincent at Warren, 6 p.m.
Saegertown at Eisenhower, 6 p.m.
Cameron County at Sheffield, 7 p.m.
Iroquois at Youngsville, 6 p.m.
Boys Basketball: Fort LeBoeuf at Warren, 6 p.m.
Titusville at Eisenhower, 6 p.m.
Girls Basketball: Warren at Harbor Creek, 6 p.m.
Eisenhower at Conneaut, 6 p.m.
Swimming: Warren at McDowell, 6 p.m.
Boys Basketball: Sheffield at Kane, 6 p.m.
Maplewood at Youngsville, 6 p.m.
Girls Basketball: Kane at Sheffield, 6 p.m.
Wrestling: Youngsville at Saegertown, 6 p.m.
Warren, Eisenhower at Fred Bell Tournament, Grove City High School
Boys Basketball: Warren at Cathedral Prep, Erie Civic Center, 2:30 p.m.
Eisenhower at Rocky Grove, 1 p.m.
Youngsville at Conneaut, 7:30 p.m.
Girls Basketball: Youngsville at Conneaut, 6 p.m.
Wrestling: Warren, Eisenhower at Fred Bell Tournament, Grove City High School
Warren Area High School graduate Tyler Fantaskey had 16 points, including two three-pointers and 4-4 from the line, during Pitt-Bradford's 76-72 home victory over Medaille on Monday night in Bradford. Pitt-Bradford improves to 9-7 (5-4) in the victory.
Jessica Baccus, member of the Tigers After School Karate was recently tested and promoted by Kimio Nelson, Fighting Tigers Martial Arts soke master instructor. Baccus was promoted to brown belt in Kaneda Goshin Jutsu after she underwent an examination on her knowledge of karate basics and self-defense techniques.
While there were no dog sled races at Winterfest this weekend, there were other events for the canines.
In the canicross, Wanda Verga and Buddy of Spring Creek won first place with a combined time of 26:14 - 13:40 on Saturday and 12:34 on Sunday; Paige Bluhm and Cooper of Montgomeryville came in second, five seconds behind, at 26:19 - 13:45 and 12:34; in third was Karen McArthur and Misty of Douglasville at 39:05 - 19:47 and 19:18. The names of the dogs running with Bluhm and McArthur were not provided. Both Cooper and Misty were adopted through Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue.
More than 30 dogs took part in the weight pull on Saturday, with the following placing in the competitive classes:
1. Ava, 40-pound Samoyed, Jennifer Gerdes of Ithaca, N.Y., 325 pounds in 31.06;
2. Keisha, 37-pound Siberian husky, Kari Hunyadi of Slatington, 280 pounds in 19.06;
3. Moxie, 40-pound Siberian husky, Hunyadi, 235 pounds in 4.35;
4. Mist, 39-pound husky, Steve Jackson, Dover, 235 pounds in 7.20;
5. Dew, 39-pound husky, Jackson, 100 pounds in 5.07.
1. Mole, 54-pound husky, Wendy Leister of Dover, 545 pounds in 5.78;
2. Cassi, 54-pound Malamute, Dave Gallagher of Randolph, Vt., 500 pounds in 8.59;
3. Colt, 56-pound husky, Hunyadi, 455 pounds in 15.94;
4. Junior, 54-pound husky, Jackson, 410 pounds in 9.59;
5. Whiteface, 44-pound husky, Jackson, 370 pounds in 8.59;
6. Romeo, 54-pound Samoyed, Gerdes, 235 pounds in 6.59;
7. Mak, 52-pound Samoyed, Susan Slagle, Carmel, Ind., DNF;
8. Keona, 50-pound Samoyed, Slagle, DNF.
1. Cuda, 76-pound Malamute, Gallagher, 730 pounds in 6.47;
2. Booth, 68-pound husky, Hunyadi, 640 pounds in 44.81;
3. Ally, 69-pound Malamute, Gallagher, 550 pounds in 5.64;
4. Lucky, 72-pound husky mix, Leister, 460 pounds in 6.31;
5. Harra, 75-pound Malamute, Gallagher, 280 pounds in 22.28;
6. Mug, 63-pound husky, Hunyadi, 190 pounds in 19.41.
1. Beowulf, 98-pound Malamute, George Popp, Bainbridge, Ind., 1315 pounds in 41.37;
2. Grendel, 100-pound Malamute, Popp, 1045 pounds in 32.78;
1. Cinnabar, 106-pound Malamute, Sheryl Franklin, Baxter, Tenn., 505 pounds in 16.03.
1. Sebastian, 140-pound Malamute, Franklin, 775 pounds in 10.75.
1. Noble, 200-pound mastiff, John Gordan, Hamburg, N.Y., 1450 pounds in 7.06.