Volunteer firefighters from Clarendon, Sheffield, Kane, Glade Township and Pleasant Township responded to a house fire at 182 Six Mile Road in Tiona on Saturday afternoon.
Steve Cacek said on Monday that he was working outside when the blaze started at his residence.
He said the family escaped, but his son Stephen had to be transported to Warren General Hospital and then to Mercy General Hospital in Pittsburgh. His wife, Tammy, was flown directly from Sheffield to Mercy General by helicopter.
Times Observer photos by Rob Andersen
House fire in Tiona
In the photo above, interior damage from a Saturday afternoon house fire in Tiona is evident. In the photo below, Steve Cacek carries some household items out of his family’s home on Monday. Cacek said he didn’t know how much, if anything, could be salvaged.
His son was treated for smoke inhalation and released Sunday, but Cacek said his wife is still in the hospital with "significant" burns.
Cacek said Stephen was transferred to Pittsburgh because of fears that his trachea might swell or collapse during the night Saturday.
Cacek said he managed to get one dog out of the house, and firefighters rescued two more dogs and a cat.
Cacek added that firefighters told him that the fire might have started in a center room on the second floor by an oxygen condenser, possibly by drawing too much amperage.
On Monday, Terry Gregerson, Clarendon VFD chief, said that hasn't been verified yet, and that he was returning to the scene for further investigation. He added that the state fire marshal would not be called to the scene.
Gregerson also noted that a tanker from Kane VFD was on stand-by at Sheffield, and North Warren VFD dispatched a unit to Clarendon.
Cacek said the house is owned by Tanya Carlson, his mother-in-law.