A boiler emitting carbon monoxide led to the evacuation of several Liberty Street businesses on Friday.
Sam Pascuzzi, Warren Fire Department chief, said there were about 70 people evacuated from FNB, Kersey and Associates, McKissock, Crone's Drug Store and Jock Shop. Along with firefighters, Columbia Gas located the source of the gas in the basement of Crone's.
Nobody was transported by ambulance. However, Pascuzzi said he believes four or five people went to the emergency room to get checked out.
Times Observer photo
Warren City Fire Department apparatus is stationed in Liberty Street between 2nd and Third Avenues Friday morning as personnel cleared carbon monoxide from offices in the FNB building in the middle of the block.
"We advised everyone on the signs and symptoms of (carbon monoxide) poisoning," Pascuzzi said.
Crews were summoned at 9:07 a.m. after receiving a call about the CO alarm going off at FNB. According to Pascuzzi, they were back in station by 1 p.m.
Upon initial investigation, Pascuzzi said CO readings were almost 100 parts per million. Surrounding businesses had over 400 parts per million.
Dave Krogler, Warren Fire Department captain, said evacuations are required anytime levels exceed 100 parts per million.
Liberty Street Marketplace served as temporary shelter for evacuees. After businesses were ventilated and CO levels fell to acceptable thresholds, Pascuzzi said the employees were cleared to go back to their businesses.
Starbrick and Pleasant Volunteer Fire Departments provided assistance on the scene. Additional CO monitors came from the county Emergency Management Agency, Pascuzzi said, and United Refining also allowed them to use extra fans and monitors.