The vintage image was a long-time landmark in Warren. The Johnson Exchange was a three storied brick block erected by Judge S. P. Johnson at the corner of Second and Liberty in 1854. The Johnson Exchange was the third brick building to be constructed in Warren. The outside bricks were hauled here from Buffalo and those for the inside were made on what is known as the Eddy lot, corner of Fourth and Liberty streets. At that time the Carver House was the only brick building in the city. The Johnson block was destroyed by fire. (The corner of Second and Liberty was also the site of the Levinson Brothers' Store from 1959 to 1988.) When first erected there were no railroads in this city, and all travel was done by stages which ran from here to Buffalo, Franklin, and Ohio, which was then known as the Western Reserve. The stage drivers were in the habit of driving out of their way for several squares in order to show the strangers a building which was fully 25 years in advance of anything in this end of the state. Ever since the structure was erected the corner room was used as a drug store, first by Dr. Gilbert Hazeltine, who was a partner of Judge Johnson, then by G. P. Orr & Co., and later by Siegfried & Co. Judge Johnson retained his share in the store up to the time of his death. The current day photo is Northwest Savings Bank headquarters' office. NWSB operates as a community bank and serves as the hub of a network of 171 community banking locations in northwest, southwest, and central Pennsylvania; western New York; eastern Ohio; and Maryland. Images courtesy of the Warren County Historical Society and the Warren Camera Club..
The Johnson Exchange was a three storied brick block erected by Judge S. P. Johnson at the corner of Second and Liberty in 1854