The structurally deficient, 72-year-old McGuire Street bridge in Tidioute is about to be replaced.
The 38-foot steel I-beam bridge was built in 1940. It carries McGuire Street over McGuire Run just north of Main Street in Tidioute and will be closed starting July 12.
The detour will take motorists on Tidioute Creek Road and Route 27.
Work will begin July 2, but the bridge will not be closed right away.
The project is expected to be complete "by the beginning of October," according to a PennDOT release.
The new construction will be a concrete spread box beam bridge.
Shingledecker's Welding of Franklin is the contractor on the $575,030 job. Federal transportation dollars will fund 80 percent of the work. State funding will pay the remaining 20 percent.
The bridge is posted with a 12-ton limit and is used by about 170 vehicles each day, according to PennDOT.