By COLIN KYLER
City officials are taking steps to correct what they consider to be a potentially dangerous situation on Spring Street.
During a recent meeting of City of Warren Blighted Property Review Committee, members made a first declaration of blight on 1034 Spring St. Building Code Official Alan Gustafson noted the location is at the top of a hill near Public Way.
While it has been a problem since 1999, Gustafson said officials believe it poses a fire hazard. Around two months ago, he said, the structure had a fire inside of it.
Although there was no meter on the house, Gustafson said the fire was electrical.
"I'm not sure there were flames," Gustafson said. "It was a smoldering situation."
All utilities at the property were disconnected, Gustafson said, and the electrical boxes there are wide open.
Despite the problems, Gustafson said the house is salvageable. Compared to the properties which came before the committee when it was first formed, he said few are severely dilapidated.
In the past, Gustafson said the city dealt with other blighted properties the owner had, including on Hemlock Street. Committee member Joseph Sprentz asked if they had any cooperation.
"It took a while," Gustafson said. "The owner has more than he can handle at times."