The first entry in the church books was dated Ascension Day 1868 and written by Rev. C. O. Hultgren, pastor of First Lutheran Church, Jamestown, NY. The first services were held in a school house a quarter mile north of Wrightsville, PA. Land was given to the congregation by John Hagle for a church and cemetery. The church was built and the first service was held on Christmas morning in 1869.
In 1870, the congregation voted to become a member of the Augustana Synod, one of the predecessors churches of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
When the 140 year anniversary is celebrated at the praise and thanksgiving service on June 22, the worship setting of the Augustana Hymnal will be used.
The anniversary committee of Berea Lutheran Church invites all to this special service of praise and thanksgiving to celebrate 140 years of the life and ministry of Berea.