GETTYSBURG, Pa. (AP) — A rally attended by about a dozen members of the Ku Klux Klan on the Gettysburg battlefield is over without any major incidents occurring.
Participants spoke about the federal health care law, illegal immigration and the national debt during the Saturday event, pennlive.com (http://bit.ly/HNwIAl ) reported.
The news organization says the rally was staged in a field north of the spot where Gen. George Meade established a headquarters during the 1863 battle of the American Civil War.
The robe-wearing klansmen were separated by a few hundred feet from about 30 onlookers by some 20 police officers and a pair of National Park Service-installed fences.
Pennlive says Richard Preston, head of the Maryland-based Confederate White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, obtained a federal permit for the event last week.
Information from: The Patriot-News, http://www.pennlive.com/patriotnews