Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | All Access e-Edition | Home RSS
 
 
 

SW Pa. gym teacher returns after 70 percent burned

September 25, 2013
Associated Press

MCCLELLANDTOWN, Pa. (AP) — A southwestern Pennsylvania gym teacher has returned to work less than nine months after he was burned on 70 percent of his body when a pan of grease exploded on his kitchen stove.

Thirty-two-year-old George Franks III was originally told her might not walk again and have to use a wheelchair if he ever hoped to teach again at Albert Gallatin North Middle School, about 45 miles south of Pittsburgh.

Franks says he was getting ready to saute some chicken when the grease exploded Jan. 11. He tried to run away, but slipped on the grease and was badly burned everywhere except for his right arm and back.

Franks says he spent more than 50 days in a hospital, had six major surgeries, plus skin grafts.

Franks told school officials, "'I'll be back in the fall.' I did it."

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web