Warren man sentenced for beating neighbor beyond unconscious

A Warren man was sentenced Friday after he beat a neighbor unconscious and then continued to beat him.

Thomas Gerald Lamb, 26, was sentenced by Judge Gregory Hammond Friday for one count each of simple assault, reckless endangerment, and harassment.

The incident took place in November of last year, which Lamb’s attorney, Henry Borger, told the court “occurred in the heat of the moment.”

Borger said that, upon entering his residence the night of the incident, Lamb and some friends made noise which upset the upstairs neighbor, who came out of his apartment to confront Lamb.

“My client went up the stairs to talk to him,” said Borger, at which point the interaction became a physical altercation and, “there’s no doubt about it, he definitely punched several times and harmed the victim.”

“This isn’t who he is, this isn’t who he wants to be,” said Borger. “While we certainly understand the need for supervision here,” based on Lamb’s lack of prior involvement with the justice system, he was seeking a sentence of probation.

District Attorney Rob Greene did not agree with defense counsel’s characterization of the event as “just some little scuffle.”

Lamb, said Greene, “decided to knock the victim unconscious and continue to beat him while he was unconscious, causing multiple lacerations about his face and several facial bone fractures.”

With the severity of the injuries, Greene said Lamb originally faced a charge of aggravated assault, and Greene initially sought a sentence in the aggravated range. And yet, according to Greene, Lamb has a zero prior record score, a job, and is going to be getting anger management treatment, all of which make this situation “a tough case.”

Greene went on to say, while he was no longer seeking an aggravated sentence, he felt that a sentence of incarceration would be appropriate given the severity of the victim’s injuries and the fact Lamb had spent less than two full days in jail following the incident.

Asked whether he had anything to say before being sentenced, Lamb said he was “deeply sorry” for his actions, and that he wished he had chosen to simply talk to the victim.

Hammond told Lamb that while he was not going to be sentencing in the aggravated range based on the severity of the injuries, there were “a couple of things about this case that needs to be addressed.” He said that in sentencing Lamb he was taking into account not only that Lamb was the instigator, but also that “it’s one thing to get into it and punch somebody but it’s another completely different matter when that individual is incapacitated on the ground to continue to strike him in the head repeatedly.”

Hammond also referenced one letter written on Lamb’s behalf stating that he’d “done what any man would do,” saying that such was a sentiment that he “couldn’t disagree with more. There are different ways for men to handle disputes.”

Hammond told Lamb that he would be crafting his sentence based on his lack of a prior record and the fact that the plea was for a count of simple — not aggravated — assault before handing that sentence down.

Lamb was sentenced on count two, simple assault, to 30 days to two years less one day in the Warren County Jail with credit for one day time served, to run consecutive to a sentence of one-year probation on a count of reckless endangerment, with work release and early reentry eligibility. Lamb was ordered to have no contact with his victim, and to complete 60 hours of community service. Lamb was ordered to pay restitution to the victim in the amount of $3,132.68, fines of $1,100, court costs, and fees of $250. Lamb was additionally ordered to complete a program of anger management counseling.