Community

Briefs…

Class lunchThe Warren High School class of 1949 will meet for lunch at noon on Wednesday, March 2, at Bob Evans Restaurant.Easter music serviceThe Pittsfield Wesleyan Methodist Church on Route 27 is having an Easter Music Service at 6 p.m. March 27. There will be a number of vocals, piano ...

County senior center schedule

MarienvilleMACA Building927-6607:Monday: 2/29: cards, games,lunch at noonWednesday: 3/2: cards, games, lunch at noonThursday 3/3: cards, games, lunch at noonEndeavorTownship Building463-7774:Monday : 2/29: cards, games,lunch at noonTuesday 3/1: cards, games, lunch at noonFriday 3/4: cards, ...

Antiques Study Club meets

The Warren Antiques Study Club met on Monday, February 22, at the Woman's Club of Warren.The business meeting was led by club president, Margery Smith.Following the meeting, a presentation was given by Cheryl Gupta on Swarovski Crystals, which are one of the most famous stones in the world. ...

Behind bars… Down by the riverside

Being incarcerated in Warren County hasn't always meant "three hots and a cot."Sure, Warren County has long had a jail.In the earliest years of the county, the jail was held in a series of residences.The first public building in Warren County was a jail built in 1823. Built in less than one ...

‘Happy Valentine Luncheon’ hosted by Christian Women’s Connection

A 'Happy Valentine' luncheon was hosted by the Warren Christian Women's Connection. Husbands, sons, and companions were guests. The resource table displayed a Valentine theme of Love. Prayer favors were beautifully decorated hearts.Speaker Jim Lynch, Warren, spoke with great joy as he told of ...

‘The ethics of spiritual care for the imprisoned: Nuremberg and today’

The Robert H. Jackson Center, a non-profit dedicated to promoting liberty under law through the examination of the life and work of Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, and his legacy's relevance to current events and issues, announced that it will present "The Ethics of Spiritual Care for ...

TO DO

The following is a list of upcoming local entertainment events. The Times Observer welcomes additions to the list that are of community interest. Club meetings and closed gatherings are not included. To add an event, email managing editor Jon Sitler at jsitler@timesobserver.com.Feb. 25, 26, ...

Megan Waterfield places in first-year essay contest

ALLIANCE, Ohio- Freshman Megan Waterfield finished in third place in the Northeast Ohio English Department Consortium's (NEOEDC) First-Year Student Essay Contest for her essay "You're Going to Regret Your Poor Grammar."Mount Union freshmen were encouraged to submit an essay written for a First ...

‘Why You’re Going to Regret Your Poor Grammar’

Here is the essay that Megan Waterfield submitted for the Northeast Ohio English Department Consortium's (NEOEDC) First-Year Student Essay Contest:Megan WaterfieldDr. DickWRT 230H10 December 2015Lyle Bachman, linguistics professor at the University of California, Los Angeles, defines grammar as ...

The big, old oak tree…

There was no sorrow in the air lingering over the carcass. Woodland creatures did not mourn, no tears were shed as the life of the forest leviathan suddenly ended. It hit the ground with such force that the top branches split and shattered. The snow had arrived before we did, twirling and ...

Clarendon VFW/Am Vets Post 314 becomes lead donor on baby arch project

The Clarendon VFW/Am Vets Post 314 showed up today in full force at a meeting held at the Warren Co. Courthouse to educate the new Warren County Commissioners on the development of a local RC&D project intended to preserve local history and honor the local labor connection to one of ...

Briefs…

Monday Night MoviesMonday Night Movies at the Warren Public Library will continue on February 29th.. This event is free of charge and begins at 5:30 p.m. in the Slater Room on the third floor of the library. Complimentary popcorn will be available.This week's PG-13 rated 121 minute film stars ...

County senior center schedule

MarienvilleMACA Building927-6607:Monday: 2/22: cards, games,lunch at noonWednesday: 2/24: cards, games, lunch at noonThursday 2/25: cards, games, lunch at noonEndeavorTownship Building463-7774:Monday : 2/22: cards, games,lunch at noonTuesday 2/23: cards, games, lunch at noonFriday 2/26: cards, ...

Briefs…

Class lunchThe Warren Area High School class of 1964 will meet for lunch at noon, Monday, Feb. 22, at the Conewango Club in Warren.Class breakfastWAHS Class of 1962 will meet for breakfast on February 24th, Wednesday, at Perkins at 9am. All classmates are welcome.---The men of the Warren High ...

Game Show

Game Show, the new production by the Warren Players at the Struthers Library Theatre, "goes live" at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 25. But before that can happen, the cast needs plenty of rehearsal. The Times Observer was invited to one of those rehearsals this week, and even got the opportunity to ...

‘I was embarrassed by my absolute blank’

"Game Show" isn't kidding around with its "the comedy play" with "you" slipped in between "comedy" and "play."I'm not a stranger to a stage, honestly. I've been in band, orchestra, color guard, choir, theater, all of that stuff. Before I realized I was better at writing than music, I went into ...

The Big Noise

After 13 years, Wynonna has released a new album, Wynonna and the Big Noise. The tour supporting the new release will bring the five-time Grammy Award-winning, two platinum album earning, singing legend to Struthers Library Theatre in Warren, Pennsylvania this March 4th.Wynonna's room-filling ...

TO DO

The following is a list of upcoming local entertainment events. The Times Observer welcomes additions to the list that are of community interest. Club meetings and closed gatherings are not included. To add an event, email managing editor Jon Sitler at jsitler@timesobserver.com.Feb. 25, 26, ...

Squirrel Wars: May the nuts be with you

If you live on the edges of town, or out of town near nut bearing trees, you probably have witnessed squirrel wars.Gray squirrels and red squirrels are regular visitors to feeders in my backyard. They come mainly for black oil sunflower seeds, also occasionally for squirrel blocks and various ...