Community

Briefs…

Veterans Appreciation Day Veterans Appreciation Day is from 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 10, at Wilder Museum of Warren County History, 51 Erie Ave., Irvine. Enjoy the museum’s military wing and refreshments. $5 per person, $1 per student. Veterans and members are admitted free. For ...

Briefs…

Lockdown drill The Warren County School District will conduct an active intruder lockdown drill at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 17, at Youngsville Elementary Middle School. Class to lunch The Youngsville High School classes of 1964 and 1965 luncheon will be held Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 12:30 p.m. at ...

Audubon president says West Nile findings ‘low level of concern’

In response to recent reporting that West Nile Virus was found on the premises of Audubon Community Nature Center, President Leigh Rovegno released the following statement: “Audubon Community Nature Center has been a test site for the New York State Health Department for over 15 years. They ...

Briefs…

Classes to lunch The Warren Area High School class of 1964 will meet for lunch on Oct. 22 at the Draft House at noon. All members of the class and their spouses or significant others are welcome. ——— The Warren High School class of 1947 will meet for lunch Friday, Oct. 19 at 11:30 ...

‘South Pacific’

Warren Players has announced the opening performances of its 88th season with Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “South Pacific.” In this classic award-winning musical, the world is at war. On an island in the South Pacific, emotions run high as a midwestern nurse and a young lieutenant each ...

County senior center schedule

Marienville MACA Building 927-6607: Monday (10-15): game day, cards at 10 am, lunch at 11:45 Wednesday (10-17): cards, Show & Tell at 10:30 am, exercise at11:30 am, lunch at 11:45 am, bingo Thursday (10-18): crafts at 9:45 am, cards, lunch at 11:45 am, bingo after ...

Briefs…

Class reunion The Eisenhower High School class of 1960 will hold its 58th fall reunion at The Bucket in Sugar Grove at 5 p.m. Oct. 19 at 5 p.m. Class lunch The Warren High School class of 1956 will meet for lunch at 1 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 16, at the Draft House. Newton Dinner Club The ...

Legend has it

Johnny Appleseed planted his first nursery on the banks of the Brokenstraw Creek near present-day Garland. It was just one stop on a long, winding road that would turn a young man from Massachusetts into a mystical, shadowy legend. He preferred to sleep outside and “tradition holds that ...

Congress of Future Medical Leaders

Times Observer photo by Brian Ferry Alexander Borger represented Warren Area High School at the this summer. He was presented with the program’s Award of Excellence, certifying his completion of the Congress, by Warren Area High School Guidance Counselor Betsy Sobkowski and Principal Jeff ...

What’s in a (scientific) name?

I don’t always look for scientific names when I’m learning about plants and animals, but when I stumbled across meaning of the Eastern Newt’s scientific name while working on my last article I had to see what else I could learn about scientific names. I have to be honest, I didn’t ...

Briefs…

Bridge results Tuesday afternoon at the Allegheny Community Center, Bill Massa came in first and Phyllis DiFonzo was second. At the Woman’s Club, Thursday afternoon, Barbie Johnson and Rita Mancuso were first and second. Marjorie Polito placed first Thursday evening at the library with ...

Hill & Dale Garden Club meets

The September 26 meeting of the Hill & Dale Garden Club was held at the Mission Covenant Church; 20 members and three guests were in attendance. President Ruth Ann DeVore welcomed members and guests. Ruth Ann then led the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag and Peg Stino gave the devotions, ...

Blue Morning at night

The guys of Blue Morning are no strangers to good music. Anthony Brown (keyboard, vocals) and Rich Alcorn (lead guitar, vocals), along with Jim Cheronis (lead vocals), Darrin Payne (drums, vocals), and Russ Brunco (bass, vocals) make up the Foreigner tribute band that will be performing ...

‘Raindrops’

On Oct. 12, B.J. Thomas’s legendary voice will resound throughout the Struthers Library Theatre in Warren for a one-night-only show starting at 8 p.m. Thomas is an American vocal icon, a uniting voice of his generation and the only recording artist to ever have the “Song of the Year” ...

Briefs…

Conservation workshop The Warren County Conservation District (WCCD) will host a free stream dynamics and erosion workshop tour on Thursday, Oct. 25. Space is limited and registration is required by contacting the WCCD at 726-1441 by Friday, Oct. 12. The tour will begin at the WCCD office ...

In An Instant

As funding grew and a sense of conservation grew, the state game land system started to grow. “In 1919, Dr. Kalbfus, Dr. Penrose, Woody Kelly and I were on a trip locating game refuges,” a colleague of Kalbfus wrote. “One Sunday we were about ten miles below Warren, Pa., on a main ...

County senior center schedule

Marienville MACA Building 927-6607: Monday (10-8): game day, cards at 10 am, lunch at 11:45, Trash & Treasure bingo after lunch Wednesday (10-10): cards, exercise, 11:30 am, lunch at 11:45 am, 50-50 drawing, bingo Thursday (10-11): crafts at 9:45 am, blood pressure reading at ...

Community ap-peel

It was an appealing way to open an event. The annual United Fund Torchlight Campaign kickoff event was held Friday night. Marty’s Bubblegum Machine got the evening rolling — rolling toilet paper into the air to the delight of dozens of youngsters — with music and dancing. Mr. and ...

Peak foliage arriving soon

Peak fall foliage conditions should arrive in Warren County soon. “We seem to be off to a slow start this year,” DCNR Cornplanter District Forester Cecile Stelter said. “I am thinking that peak will occur mid-October — 18th through 23rd.” But, the cooler nights over the last week ...

Golden time of year

The golden time of year has arrived with cool fall weather and lovely autumn leaves. The autumn light slants into the garden illuminating late season perennials and our colorful mums. It is also the month when we put the garden to bed and button up for the winter. If you haven’t done so yet ...