History of upgrades
Prior to the existence of a Warren hospital, “unaffiliated local physicians delivered most of the health care services,” according to a history of Warren General Hospital.
In 1895, the Society of Christian Workers created Door of Hope at 215 Water Street, a home for the temporary care of the sick and for unmarried, pregnant women.
In 1897, Door of Hope moved to Liberty Street and became Home of the Friendless.
Financial constraints threatened the Door of Hope – Home of the Friendless facility and “on March 28, 1898, a local physician paid for a charter for Warren Emergency Hospital and the community leaders initiated a fundraising campaign to construct the hospital,” according to the history. The first brick was laid on March 19, 1900, and the hospital opened to patients the same year on Dec. 24.
The following year, the hospital added an annex for patients with contagious diseases and a nursing school which operated until 1941.
“By 1917, the hospital also provided obstetrical, x-ray, and laboratory services,” according to the history. “Therefore, the board of directors renamed the hospital ‘Warren General Hospital’ to more accurately reflect the general medical services provided.”
Funds from the community and the federal Hill-Burton (Hospital Survey and Construction) Act of 1946 were used to construct a new hospital — including new x-ray, pathology, physical therapy, and laundry spaces — on the same site by 1955.
The emergency room and psych unit were added in the 1960s.
In the 1980s, the hospital added a new outpatient registration and reception area next to the emergency room, renovated and expanded its laboratory, and opened the Jefferson Pavilion Maternal and Child Health Center.
The Crescent Park Health Clinic and Dental Clinic each opened in the 1990s.
The Cancer Care Center opened in 2003 and the Ambulatory Surgery Center opened in 2007.